Install QGIS on Windows
Before you start: If you already have an older version of QGIS installed in your system, you need to uninstall it to avoid dependency related errors. To uninstall, see our uninstallation guide.
- Visit the QGIS.org Download page. Click the OSGeo4W Network Installer link to download the installer. The OSGeo4W Network Installer is the preferred way to install QGIS because it ensures you get all the required dependencies for the software.
- Once downloaded, double-click the
osgeo4w-setup.exe to launch the installer.
3. In the OSGeo4W Setup window, choose Express Install and click Next. If you are prompted to Choose a Download Site, select
http://download.osgeo.org and click Next.
- Select QGIS LTR and click Next.
- Accept all the terms and conditions and click Next. You will have to accept terms for some non open-source packages.
- Download will begin.
- Once the download gets completed, search for QGIS in the Windows Start Menu and choose the QGIS Desktop 3.22, click Open.
You may have a slightly different minor version than shown here. As long as the version number starts with 3.22, it should be fine.
Install QGIS on Mac
- Visit the QGIS.org Download page. Click the QGIS macOS Installer Version 3.22 under the Official All-in-one, signed installers section.
- Once downloaded, double-click the
qgis-macos-ltr.dmg file to open the package. Drag the QGIS-LTR icon to the Applications folder.
- It will copy QGIS to the Application folder. This process can take up to 15 minutes.
- Once finished, Go to the Applications folder. Find the QGIS-LTR application and double-click to launch it.
- The first time you launch the program, you will get a warning that “QGIS-LTR” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check for malicious software. Click OK.
- Go to Preferences → Security & Privacy → General. Click the Lock icon and enter your password. Click the Open Anyway button to launch QGIS. This step needs to be done only once. The next time, you can launch QGIS-LTR directly from the Applications folder.
Install QGIS on Ubuntu
QGIS-LTR packages are provided on a variety of Ubuntu versions. The instructions provided here are forUbuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish, but they should work on other versions as well.
- Open a terminal.
- First install some required packages and the QGIS Signing Key. Run the following commands one after the other. You will be prompted for a confirmation, type Y and press Enter.
sudo apt install gnupg software-properties-common
wget -qO - https://qgis.org/downloads/qgis-2021.gpg.key | sudo gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring gnupg-ring:/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/qgis-archive.gpg --import
sudo chmod a+r /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/qgis-archive.gpg
- Next, we add the QGIS-LTR repository for the Ubuntu version you are using. Note that the LTR packages are in the
qgis.org/ubuntu-ltr repository. If you want the latest version of QGIS instead of LTR, replace it with
sudo add-apt-repository "deb https://qgis.org/ubuntu-ltr $(lsb_release -c -s) main"
- Update your repository to fetch the information from the newly added repository. Once updated, you can install the
qgis package. The
qgis-plugin-grass is also recommended to get access to GRASS tools within QGIS. You will be prompted for a confirmation, type Y and press Enter.
sudo apt update
sudo apt install qgis qgis-plugin-grass
- From Ubuntu Desktop, click the Show Applications button and locate the QGIS application. Click to launch it.
- You now have QGIS-LTR version 3.22 running on your Ubuntu system.
Install QGIS on Linux
QGIS is supported on many linux flavors.